Ticket time limits are an important aspect and parameter set by the airlines to increase their revenue and reduce high numbers of empty seats due to late cancellations and also to control duplicated tickets created by travel agents which need to be cancelled if they are not confirmed within a predefined time limit.
Let me introduce you to the three time-limit types of tickets the airlines have which are supported by the VRS (Videcom Reservation System):
- The most basic form is to set a global limit which allows seats to be held on flights for a default number of hours before ticketing is required and prior to segments auto cancelling.
- The most widely used option is to have varying time limits based on the time period before the flight so that as the flight is reducing in availability, seats can be held for a shorter period.
- Lastly, users who are authorized can manually set their own time limits – a function usually reserved for supervisors.
Some time limits can be set manually, where the agent decides the expiration date of the PNR. This type is only for some agents above a specific security level that can define a date and time to cancel the PNR if the ticket is not issued.
Other bookings may have a variable time limits depending on the period the booking was made when two parameters can define the time limit of the PNR:
- The time before the flight
- The time after the booking was made
Videcom reservation systems (VRS) also allows airlines to set various time limits for different individual flight numbers where revenue managers can define different allowances for different markets and times of the day. Flights with high sales volumes tend to set shorter ticketing period unlike some airlines that have relatively lower sales volumes where they set longer ticketing period.
Discover more about Babylon Booking’s blogs, system, features,prices, and variety of airlines content available in one FREE access interface.To receive your login details/credentials for access to our B2B air ticketing portal, please register on our Website or send us an Email to help you with your registration, and for you to get more detailed information on our portal.